Kenya has been added to Vodafone UK’s list of countries in its World Traveller list.
This means that if you’re a Vodafone pay monthly customer or on certain business plans, you can take your UK minutes, texts and data with you when you visit Kenya.
It costs £5 extra a day (midnight to midnight in the capital city of the country you’re visiting) whether you’re using your phone, tablet, dongle or Mobile Wi-Fi device.
With the World Traveller service:
- You can use your UK minutes, texts and data in the WorldTraveller Zone for £5 a day
- You can use WorldTraveller on your phone, tablet, dongle or Mobile Wi-Fi device
- You won’t pay a penny to receive calls or texts (excluding premium texts)
- If you get close to your data limit, Vodafone will send you a text to let you know – just like when you’re in the UK
- If you go over your UK monthly allowance, you will be charged your standard UK call charges. If you make a call or send a text to a country outside the country you’re roaming in (with the exception of the UK), you’ll be charged the standard international rates as well as the Vodafone WorldTraveller daily charge
- There’s no monthly commitment
To opt in to this service, text ADD to 40508 or call 5555 free from your Vodafone mobile.
You’ll pay the daily charge to make use of your UK agreement’s minutes, texts and data while you’re in the WorldTraveller Zone, but it is important to note that by opting in to WorldTraveller, you’ll automatically opt out of the monthly spend limit for data in our WorldTraveller Zone, because you’ll be using your UK data allowance.
However, you’ll still be opted in to the monthly spend limit in our Europe Zone, and countries in the rest of the world that aren’t included in the WorldTraveller Zone.
The full list of WorldTraveller Zone countries is:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Congo, Democratic Republic of
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Puerto Rico
- South Africa
- St Kitts and Nevis
- St Lucia
- St Vincent
- Trinidad & Tobago
- Turks & Caicos
- US Virgin Islands
- United States of America
If £5 sounds a bit steep, O2’s TUGO service is a cost effective alternative as you can make and receive calls and texts over wifi and 3g on numerous devices. So you could get a local sim and still be able to use your O2 number without expensive roaming rates.