All Kenyan citizens wishing to travel anywhere outside Kenya will need a passport, but if you are only travelling within East Africa, you can use an East African or temporary passport.
If you want to apply for a Kenyan passport, citizens now need to fill in the application form online and pay the passport fees via MPESA, Debit/Credit Card, Airtel Money or eCitizen Agent before downloading and printing the filled application.
The new rules from the Immigration Department came into effect on May 1, 2015 and shifted the cost of printing the application to citizens while also going cashless.
It is important to always allow at least 30 days for your passport to be processed before travelling.
Below are the initial steps that Kenyan citizens need to take to apply for a passport:
- Register an account at ecitizen.go.ke.
- Login to eCitizen and navigate to Department of Imigration Services > submit application > Passport and Temporary Permits.
- Click on Passport Application form and the page which opens contains instructions on how to complete the application form.
- Read and click on apply now at the bottom of the page.
- Complete the application form.
- Select the mode of payment and then pay the passport fees. You can pay via M-PESA, Debit/Credit Card, Airtel Money and eCitizen Agent.
- Download and print the application and three application receipts.
- Submit the application form in person with the necessary documents to your nearest immigration centre:
- Nairobi: Ground Floor (North Wing), Nyayo House – Tel :+254- 20-2222022
- Mombasa: PC’s Office Building – Tel:+254-41-2222676
- Kisumu: New Provincial Headquarters – Tel:+254-057-2024935/2025438/0700596071
- Eldoret: Public works building – Tel: +254-53-6337
- Garissa: Telefax:0462102140
- Kenya High Commision, London: 45 Portland place London WIBISIAS United Kingdom – Tel:+442076368364 – www.kenyahighcommission.net
- Kenya Embassy, Washington D.C: 2249 R Street,N.W.Washinton D.C 20008 U.S.A – Tel:+12023876101 – www.kenyaembassy.com
The passport fees that apply are as follows:
- 32 Pages – Kshs. 4,550
- 48 pages – Kshs. 6,050
- 64 Pages – Kshs. 7,550
- East African Passport – Kshs. 990
- Diplomatic passport (48 page) – Kshs 7,550
- Mutilated Passport – Kshs 10,050
- Lost Passport Ksh. 12,050
For payments made via Debit/Credit Card, add an additional 2.5% handling fee.
The documents you will need to provide to support your application are:
- A completed and printed out passport application form.
- Documentary evidence of Kenyan citizenship i.e. Original & copies of birth Certificate and National Identity Card, or a Certificate of naturalization or registration and Renunciation Certificate of former citizenship.
- Three passport size photographs.
- For applicants who are below the age of eighteen years, the parents or legal guardian’s written consent must be provided.
- For applicants who are adopted, the original adoption certificate, clearance letter from the childrens’ department, and or, the Court ruling or award.
- A certified copy of the ID of the person recommending the applicant.
Information correct as of 29 December 2015.