Traditionally, the ingredients for pancakes symbolise four points of significance at this time of year. Eggs represent “creation”, flour is seen as “The staff of life”, salt stands for “wholesomeness” and milk is “purity”.
If you are planning to celebrate Shrove Tuesday today by eating pancakes, here is an easy to follow recipe:
- 2 eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt
- Put the eggs in a bowl and sightly whisk them
- Make a small well in the flour and add the salt and oil
- Next, pour the whisked eggs into the flour
- Add half of the milk
- Mix well and then add the rest of the milk
- After gently warming the pan, add a little oil and tip away any excess
- Pour the batter mixture into the pan and fry for a few seconds
- Next, flip your pancake and fry the other side for a few seconds
- Serve with your favourite topping and enjoy.